Sunday, February 5, 2017

A511.4.3.RB Locus of Control


My locus of control

    What is Locus of Control (LOC)? Is it real or is it connected to other parts of personalities?  Does my behavior influence my own outcome or fate?  Or is this just taking charge of my own emtions and understanding of the situation?

   First it is important to define what LOC is and is not?  LOC is "defined as the degree to which an individual expects that a contingent relationship exists between one’s behaviors and outcomes" (Ryon, 2014).  Further research in LOC breaks it down further into two major divisions: internal and external.  People with internal LOC tend to believe that have responsibilities of themselves and their own attitudes and actions and destines (Locus of Control, 2009).  While people with external LOC have tendencies that their behaviors are controlled and influenced by outside influences.    

   I do believe that people control their own desires, behaviors, performance and motivation and outcomes.  I think that things like organized religion are often misinterpreted with trying to control folks outcomes, even in Christianity there are underlying tones of "God gave us free will" and that our fate is not controlled instead we are meant to decide for ourselves.  It is when that text is used for influence that the central message is lost.  An example is an often misinterpreted passage "an eye for an eye".             

   After taking the Rotter's Locus of Control Scale test, the evidence indicates that I favor high internal locus of control.  This means that I control my own outcomes and my own beliefs and performance.  While there are influences along the way, good leaders, my wife, my demographic, and my upbringing for the most part I control my outcomes.  In my military past supervisors have attempted to control my outcomes/my behaviors and to get me to adapt to them.  This does not work for me, supportive behaviors work best for me, directive behaviors tend to throw me off and my outcomes are no longer focused on myself.  I need to feel like I am integral part of the team and the decision making (Northouse, 2016).  Path-goal is a good leadership approach for me as it allows people with high level of internal LOC to work with the leader to adapt for the follower and to understand how behaviors can play a role in people lives.              

References


  • locus of control (2009).


Northhouse, P. G. (2016). Leadership: Theory and practice (7th edition). Los Angeles, CA:       SAGE Publications, Inc.

  • Ryon, H. S., & Gleason, M. E. J. (2014). The role of locus of control in daily life. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 40(1), 121-131. doi:10.1177/0146167213507087

No comments:

Post a Comment