Sunday, September 24, 2017

A520.7.3.RB Empowerment example

Empowerment is an idea that very few people have and even fewer military leaders can give up. the traditional definition of empowerment is "to give power", this definition is a rather crude definition of empowerment.  Modern definitions lend more toward enabling people to posses or delegate power (Jashinsky, 2008).  This process of allowing people to hold the power does not work well in an hierarchal society, power is usually earned in status and positions.  Empowerment requires trust, providing support, providing information, use of experiences, and meaningfulness (Wheeten & Cameron, 2016).

During my military experience, I have been immensely empowered to develop new mission systems, new squadrons and new command posts, several times.  I have been blessed to work for good leaders that saw my potential and my ability to lead to develop without interference.  Leaders have thought that I could control the power given and that I could invest the power in developmental strategies.  One of my most memorable empowerment examples was a selective-manned or special assignment to develop and new weapon system with a military research lab and operationalize it.  I was the first operator assigned to the project.  My senior leaders sent me a junior non-commissioned officer at the time, without an education or formal training to develop a weapon system or even a unit that can be sustained for generations.  They did though trust my skills for resolution and critical thinking ability.  My mission was to develop a tactics program, training program, mission support all within six months than deploy the system into combat.  

This task took an enormous support system from the senior leaders.  In order to accomplish this task, three main leadership points took place flexibility, guidance and freedom.  During this mission, I was given flexibility to accomplish the mission without outside distractions.  I was dedicated to this mission only, I was given the flexibility to manage my own career, my own performance and my own administrative methods.  My senior leader guided me along the way but never had to direct.  They did not try to control me or my team with authority but instead they provided sounding boards to bounce ideas off of.  They provided leadership when it mattered but otherwise let me be empowered to do what had to be done.  Finally, leaders gave me freedom.  They gave me freedom to discuss, develop, create and forge while backing my decisions up but not interfering.  

As I progress in my career, I intend to apply the same principles.  I have already started to apply these principles to my employees.  Giving them the flexibility to develop new ideas from the bottom up.  Allowing them to be creative under their own ownership.  I also guide and mentor, very rarely do I use direct or authoritative leadership.  I constantly let them know my door is open and I would rather ensure their success then my own.  Their performance is for them.  Finally, I provide them with the freedom to accomplish their mission.  I try not to get involved, or micro manage, this hopefully helps return the investment in their own power.    


References

Jashinsky, T. L. (2008). Empowerment. In F. T. Leong, Encyclopedia of counseling. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. Retrieved from http://ezproxy.libproxy.db.erau.edu/login?url=http://search.credoreference.com/content/entry/sagecouns/empowerment/0?institutionId=951

 Whetten, D. A., & Cameron, K. S. (2016). Developing Management Skills (Ninth Edition). Harlow, UK: Pearson Education.

No comments:

Post a Comment